Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Customer Concerns

New City Library wants to provide the best possible customer service while protecting the assets of the library. Registration proceedures need to be in place and adhered to ensure library notices will be received and materials will be returned. Below is a recent correspondence with a customer. In this example we also called the customer directly to assist.

CUSTOMER WRITES:

I have been a resident of Congers for over a year. This evening I attempted to register for a library card. I read the flyer regarding the registration and brought in forms of identification. However, despite bringing the appropriate forms (driver's license, photo work id, and utility bill).

I was denied receiving a card. I felt that her actions were discriminatory because I gave acceptable ID and she wouldn't accept it.

How do children apply for library cards? They do not have cars registered in their names nor have pay stubs. I pay library taxes each year and I believe because of this I am entitled to a library card. Please let me know what I can do to obtain one.

OUR RESPONSE:

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you experience at the circulation desk when applying for a membership card at New City Library. Our goal is to register all eligible residents.

We issue a card upon presentation of 2 proofs of an eligible address and a current and identifiable picture ID. As I understand it you met the photo requirement but only one form had your name and address. A second form with your name and street address was not provided.

Minor children may use a parent's ID as long as the child is with the parent at the time of registration. The parent’s signature is required on the registration form.

No comments: